Salespeople love to show and tell.
You remember show and tell right?
You would bring in a shiny rock, doll, or G.I. Joe and tell your class about what it was, what it did, and why you liked it.
As a kid, show and tell allowed children to get comfortable speaking in front of others and brag about the cool stuff they had. Not a bad idea for a 6-year old, but what about grown adults?
Today, most salespeople still play show and tell with their prospects. Here’s what most salespeople say:
- Let me tell you about our company.
- Let me show you my product.
- Let me explain to you how it works.
- Allow me to demonstrate to you how we are different.
- This is why we are so competitive.
Salespeople show prospects all their cool stuff and tell them how great they are.
Here lies the problem. Prospects don’t care about your stuff or how great you claim to be.
Prospects and customers only care about how you can help them. Period.
My philosophy is that instead of playing show and tell with prospects, you should play give, then sell.
What is give and sell you ask?
Give, then sell, is all about providing repeated value (often times for free) to your prospects and customers.
When you give value, followed by more value, and then add a little sprinkle of value on top, consumers suddenly have an urge to buy from you.
How to give and sell.
One question that often comes up when speaking to salespeople is how do I provide value? What can I do to give my prospects information and services they desire?
Here are some simple ideas you can start implementing today.
- Send a weekly email newsletter with valuable information to help them profit.
- Start a blog and write posts that make you human and helps your audience win.
- Speak at industry trade shows, not about your products or services directly, but about outcomes that will provide a direct benefit to your audience.
- Post value messages on social media, not a sales message.
- Always think in terms of your prospects and customers. What do they want? What do the need? How can you help?
Want to know what the “King of Sales” says about providing value? Watch this 2 minute clip.
If you want to provide real value, it’s no longer about showing and telling, it’s all about giving first, then selling.
Question: What are you “giving” to your prospects and customers so that you can sell more? You can leave a comment by clicking here.
My name is Brent Kelly and I am the CEO of BizzGrizz Training.